Sunday, February 05, 2006

Henry and the Quest for Truth

My name is Henry the Adequate, and I am a superhero.

Tonight I roam the footpaths in search of truth. I am certain it must be out here somewhere, but so far it has proved as elusive as an abstract concept hiding out in an unspecified city. I am beginning to suspect that truth may forever evade my superheroic probing.

But what was that? I am sure something just ducked down an alley ahead and to the left, so, using all of my superhuman speed, I do follow really quickly and with such haste that I may soon be forced to change my name to Henry the Hasty. Damn that superhero guild. Unfortunately it turns out I have only spotted a dealer selling drugs to school children. Pity. I move on.

A block further and I come accross a scruffy looking character with a long grey beard and tattered rags. He stands on a milk crate and issues forth with passion and fire and possibly also some words. As I approach closer I realize that there are indeed words, and also that he does indeed smell really bad. "... and hail all ducks and chickens, for soon enough the hamsters will come home to roost and a disturbing revelation will surely unfold before our very eyes while teardrops fall about us like coconuts."

"You!" He points in my direction, somehow picking me out of the crowd. No doubt my dynamic presence has drawn his attention, like a moth to a magnet, or a flame, or possibly a magnetic flame. Also there is nobody else about. "What do you seek?!"

"I seek the truth, oh noble one," I respond, because he must be some kind of guru or something - otherwise why would he be dressed in rags and acting like a complete nutter. Perhaps I should renounce my worldly goods and join his holy crusade.

"Truth is within you."

"What?" I don't see how that could have happened. Is there some kind of weird osmosis thing going on? Or did I eat some contaminated chicken or something? I'm fairly certain it wasn't there yesterday.

"Truth is within you," he intones again.

"Are you sure you've got the right person?"

"Truth is within all of us."

"You don't say..." I wonder where I can get a scalpel at this time of the night.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

I have to post just to verify my truth...none of my comments are appearing anywhere...
except here?
What have you done to me, I'm disappearing little bbbbbbb

11:56 pm  
Blogger Lorraine said...

If you don't mind it's not Feb 5 here, so I have to use you
Happy birthday Sis!
xxxooo

12:01 am  
Blogger carouselle10 said...

Will Henry be converted, will he join a cult, will he find a scalpel? Henry whatever you do don't drink the Kool-Aid!

2:56 am  
Blogger SquareGirl said...

Aha...Henry seems to be getting closer and closer to the truth...

3:04 am  
Blogger Ben said...

lorraine:
use away.

carouselle:
As the one person who's supposed to know what happens next let me just assure you right now that I haven't a clue.

squaregirl:
"Yes indeed, I am now getting closer to the truth. It is here somewhere, of that I am sure. My grasp is currently almost surrounding the very truth I am seeking. Just a few more moments... Hey look, a shiny thing!"

8:34 am  
Blogger SquareGirl said...

Thank Goodness you found another shiny thing! I was beginning to worry that Henry was getting a little to distracted with this so-called "truth" thing...so glad Henry's remembering his priorities...maybe he will start posting about more interesting things, like shiny things instead of silly things like the "truth" from now on...

2:46 pm  
Blogger Ben said...

Can't talk. Too busy with some really important stuff.

Hmmmm shiny. Very shiny.

5:41 pm  
Blogger Lorraine said...

how about a story on a diamond (or any other shiny things) heist...that should get Henry in the mood :)

10:49 pm  
Blogger Ben said...

Interesting suggestion. I'll think about it.

10:56 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home